Classic.

I officially vote 2012 the year of trends you are most likely to regret in ten years. Let’s review: Copious amounts of neon, check. Animal print skinny jeans, Check. Tie Dye Jeans, Check. High heeled sneakers, Check. I like a good trend as much as the next person, but A. These are last years trends, and B. It’s not a good sign when you want to sell your floral blazer midway through the season.

My reaction: BACK TO BASICS Β and clothes with good shapes. (Some of the floral print trousers have such nice shapes that I actually think they will look classic and feminine at any point in the future.) I like to mix basics with crazy stuff I collect, and have been digging through my archives lately and resurrecting a lot of stuff from 2003-5, I was around 20-22 then, and it was after I lost the freshman 15 (30) and the first time I had my own money. (Apparently 2006-2010 were not good to me fashion wise, because I hate most of the clothes from those years, or maybe I was just pregnant?) I post a lot of outfits on instagramΒ HERE, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, for all Carrie’s crazy fashion moments, this one resonates with me. That could have been 20 years ago, or it could have been yesterday. And she looks killer. That body doesn’t hurt, either.

Thoughts? 2012 fashion, yea or nay? What’s your classic style ideal?

Comments

1. MMish says:

I agree with you about the recent trends. 99% of people look ridiculous trying to pull them off. For me its always been about fit, classic styles and neutral palettes. That Carrie look is it for me, so simple so sexy.

2. What about glitter?

3. I think now more than ever we need to be careful with trends because with the internet, blogs and everything trends spread quicker and last for shorter. So you can’t commit too much. I say stay classic with touches of trendy to stay current.

4. Lauren says:

When I shop for clothes I always ask myself: “Will you be able to wear this 10 years from now?” If not, I won’t buy it. Like yourself I have clothes that I’ve been resurrecting for years. Of course I update basics like t-shirts, etc when needed but I always try to buy quality, timeless clothing.

I think trends aren’t so bad if the pieces are classics themselves. For example, a simple neon silk shirt or like you said a floral print trouser with a good shape to it.

Does this mean I shouldn’t wear a neon, color blocked dress with cut-outs and tie dye shoes for Memorial Day? What will I do?! lol

5. I’m with you. I’m trying to stick with classics…as I really hate when I buy something and don’t end up loving it enough. I am not a fan of a lot of the jean trends lately! Give me plain old denim any day.

6. jody says:

totally agree with u keep it basic ( accessories with the trends) and keep the latest fashion style for the girls in there 20′s

7. Rachel says:

WORD!

8. Ha, loving this post, because after Blogfest, I found myself wanting to empty my entire closet after seeing 100+ women in so many cliche trendy outfits. I think I’m going back to basics too.

9. I try to walk a fine line between classic and trendy. I don’t buy anything super trendy, more like little pieces here and there to accent my usual wardrobe. Plus I’m really picky about fit so then I can’t be too trendy which I think is a good thing. I have a more than a few things in my closet I’ve had since high school! I’d also rather spend money on my home than my closet so I think that helps my shopping habits as well.

10. Katie says:

It’s funny because although I feel like there are a lot of trends put there it’s all about finding how to blend them into your style I finally feel at 30 i get there are some trends I can’t do … Midriff baring shirts are cute but not with my stomach … I think it’s all about taking some trendy pieces & pairing them with classic shapes that work well with your body shape & lifestyle so you don’t look like a fashion victim something I was guilty of for a bulk of the last decade!

I feel like I forgot to say that trends are FUN! and thats why people like them so much…. But obviously, like you said, the key is wearing things that look good on your body and have good shapes.

I definitely do enjoy trends, its just when I feel like they are so over-saturated that I want to gag. As long as it has a good fit/shape it can be classically good looking, even if its trendy.