I recently learned how to do a fishtail braid. Its like the heavens opened up and Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah started playing.
Its that good. So not only do I wear my hair in a fishtail, like every day, but COOKIE wears a fishtail too.
And then, naturally, I applied the fishtail braiding method to my other obsession: bracelet making.
AWESOME, Arent they?
Heres a basic how to in case you are interested:
Get as many strings as you want. They generally should be double the length of the bracelet… to be safe.
1. Knot the top leaving a little extra room for tying later.
2. Separate the strings into two halves.
3. Take one string, or two strings or even 3 or 4 strings from the TOP of the group on the right and cross them over the rest of the right group until they become the bottom of the group on the left.
4. Take a few strands from the TOP of the group on the left and then cross them over the left group until they become part of the BOTTOM of the group on the right.
5. Keep on going until you have a legnth you like.
6. Make a knot and tie as you please. I use the chinese staircase stitch over the strings from both sides at the end to make an adjustable and removable bracelet… Ill show that DIY one day, its very easy.
And there you go!
The top one was done by crossing over single strands. For the middle one I used a bunch at a time. And the bottom one is a different stitch, I’ll show that one day too.
This is also how to make a fishtail braid in your hair. Separate, cross and combine…