I went to the farmer’s market today…. Amazing.
I bought all my herbs for the window herb garden a few weeks ago. They are doing amazingly well and we have been loving the fresh herbs!
Asparagus was in every booth, both fat and skinny. My husband loves it (you know why and it has nothing to do with taste!) and its everywhere, so I decided to put together 4 different ways to use it: Soup,Salad, Main course or Side! I’ve tried them all except the soup and that’s on my to do list!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.
- Melt butter in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth and increase the heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir the vegetable puree and milk into the saucepan. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with reserved asparagus tips. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
My Own Asparagus Quiche
- 1-2 Bunches of Asparagus, trimmed.
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups of grated Munster cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 unbaked pie shell (if desired).
I make this asparagus quiche all the time, with and with out a pie shell… And its as easy as pie. It’s so easy because there is barely any prep work, and it looks great too. The secret ingredient is the Cumin, which brings out the taste of the Asparagus.
- Trim and Chop 2/3 of the asparagus. Leave some whole to place on top.
- Mix eggs, Munster cheese, Cumin, Salt and Pepper with Asparagus.
- Place inside pie crust.
- Arrange the whole Asparagus on top.
- Sprinkle Cheddar on top.
- Bake on 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Asparagus & Tuna Salad
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- 2 x 200g cans yellowfin tuna steaks in water, drained
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beansin water, drained
- 1 red onion , very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tarragon , finely chopped
- Cook the asparagus in a large pan of boiling water for 4-5 mins until tender. Drain well, cool under running water, then cut into finger-length pieces. Toss together the tuna, beans, onion, capers and asparagus in a large serving bowl.
- Mix the oil, vinegar and tarragon together, then pour over the salad. Chill until ready to serve.
- 3 lbs asparagus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 1/8-1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced finely
- 1/4 inch fresh ginger, grated
- black pepper
- chili pepper flakes
- Put all marinade ingredients into a zip-lock bag shake and add asparagus and marinate for 1 hour.
- Cook on a hot grill about 5 minutes just till lightly browned.
- Turn often.